fbpx

#LekkiMassacre: We Stand by Our Report – CNN

International Cable News Network, CNN, says that it stands solidly behind its report on the shooting of peaceful #EndSARS protesters and citizens of Nigeria by soldiers at the Lekki toll plaza on October 20, 2020. It goes on to state that it does this because its work was “carefully and meticulously researched.”

CNN stated this in a report on released Thursday in direct response to comments by Lai Mohammed, the Nigerian Minister of Information and Culture, when he purported to claim that CNN was practicing “irresponsible journalism” by relying on videos which according to him were “fake” but other sources and people on the ground have on the other hand confirmed to be true videos.

CNN had earlier on Wednesday published an investigative report this which sort to corroborate by victims of carnage and brutality of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki tool gate in October. Despite glaring facts of the events, the Nigerian government through its infamous minister Mohammed denied it on Thursday.

“Like everyone else, I watched the CNN report. I must tell you that it reinforces the disinformation that is going around, and it is blatantly irresponsible and a poor piece of journalistic work by a reputable international news organization,” Mohammed said to journalists at a press event in Abuja on Thursday.

“This is very serious and CNN should be sanctioned for that,” he added.

The minister also went to describe the event of October 20, 2020 as a “massacre without bodies”, allegedly statin that they could not locate a single body nor a single family has come out to claim their family member was killed at the Lekki tollgate – there have however been reports of bodies sighted and family members looking for some of their loved ones since the night of 20th October, 2020, but the Nigerian government still keeps its script of denial playing out.

The media network chose to react today in another story titled, ‘Nigeria threatens CNN with sanctions but provides no evidence Lekki toll gate investigation is inaccurate.’ CNN categorially stated that it stands by its report on the Lekki incident which is now widely known as the ‘Lekki Massacre.’

“Our reporting was carefully and meticulously researched, and we stand by it,” CNN stated.

“The report was based on testimony from dozens of witnesses, and photos and video obtained and geolocated by CNN. It painted a picture of how members of the Nigerian army and the police shot at the crowd, killing at least one person and wounding dozens more.

“CNN verified photos and videos acquired from multiple eyewitnesses and protesters using timestamps and other data from the video files. Video footage shows soldiers who appear to be shooting in the direction of protesters. And accounts from eyewitnesses established that after the army withdrew, a second round of shooting happened later in the evening.

“Prior to publishing the report, CNN tried multiple times to elicit comment from the Nigerian army and police. A Lagos State police spokesman declined to comment because of an ongoing investigation. While a statement from the Lagos State government said that there would be no comment while a judicial tribunal was underway, ” it added.

Please Share

Irumole Togbono

Irumole enjoys writing, music, swimming and dancing. She is a sucker for information and also loves food :)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *